Skilled Gentlemen Podcast Forum

• August 20, 2017, 06:03:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It still has that "new forum" smell!

Author Topic: Favourite weapon besides a gun?  (Read 1360 times)

Dan

• School Teacher. Martial Artist. Self-Reliant
    • View Profile
Favourite weapon besides a gun?
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:50:15 AM »

Before I continue, no I didn't spell 'favourite' wrong...that's how we spell it here in Aus.

So gun laws here are strict and so are knife laws. That in mind. What would be your weapon of choice to have in the house to protect your family?
Oh, and pepper spray, tasers bb guns. Pain ball guns, sling shots, swords and extendable battons are all out too. Gotta love the laws
Also, where whould you keep it?

Jim

• View Profile
Re: Favourite weapon besides a gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »

Are bows and crossbows legal? They wouldn't be great home defense, but better than nothing.

hoguen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:47:27 PM »

Good size metal baseball bat.  I guess you could go with a cricket bat.  I would go for a nice wooden pole too but a bat may be better for inside the home. 

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:28:43 AM »

Bows are allowed for hunting. Never considered it to be honest...might have to look in to it...maybe even a decent slingshot would do the trick.
Are you suggesting cricket because its Australias mostpopular sport? Haha. Ive got a escrima in the study next to the front door.might look into getting some more.
I'd love to have a decent weapon in the house...oh well.

Clay

• Host of SGP
  • Administrator
  • Teacher - Firefighter - Husband - Gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »

If it cant be a gun or knife I would say it would be my dog.  I have an adorable belgium german sheapard .

I keep her near my wife and the piles of gold that we store at the house. (that is a joke....)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:54:10 PM by Clay »

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »

...so you don't have piles of gold?... Haha

I've got a lab so there's no protection there. Did you train her/him yourself or take to a school?

Clay

• Host of SGP
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »

I didn't really have to train her much. She pretty much already has a protective personality. All I had to do was show her what certain commands were and who was the alpha male.

I left for work one morning and forgot my wallet. When I came back into the house and approached the bedroom door, I was met with a very intimidating growl. Made me proud!

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:27:58 PM »

Excellent. Must be in the breed then. I might need to start coaxing for a second dog..haha.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

who was the alpha male
Reminds me of my dog. Turns out a female dog can still try and hump your leg to try and gaim a higher social status. But she quickly realised who was in charge and has'nt tried again since. The only tricks she can do is sit, lay, roll or stay on command. For the life of me I can't get her to come when called - unless I have treats...

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »

So laws here now say that you can't carry anything that you intend to use as a weapon because it means you were prepared to fight with a weapon. Even in your own home
That means no batons, bats, knives even tactical pens. And the officer can determine if you are carrying it for a reasonable reason. I.e. Baseball bat  in boot of the car...but Jo baseball bag or uniform or if you are not on the way to or from baseball you may be in trouble. Same goes with a maglite d cell I've heard some guys getting in trouble for carrying those in the car too.
Way around it would be to carry a utility knife like a Swiss but it isn't allowed to be a locking knife or one handed opening so it won't be that great in a confrontation.
So the only thing I carry is a good stainless steel pen and I'm a martial arts instructor.
They really are making it easier for criminals to victimise people here.

Clay

• Host of SGP
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 07:22:19 AM »

Good for you @Dan.  You kept within your local laws so that you didnt end up going to jail but you worked around them to continue to protect yourself and your family.

Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »

Hey, you know you spelled favorite wro... nevermind. 

You guys have already fleshed this out quite a bit.  One thing I'd like to add is any type of tool has a pretty legit reason to be in your vehicle/house and is easy to explain to any authority that would question it (mostly because they really get used for work!).  I'm thinking a well-balance hammer, crowbar, tire iron, etc.

The second thing I'd add is it seems to be a good idea to have more than one laying around (keeping in mind safety with children) with access from all of the areas you will most likely be:  bedroom, living room, inside the front door, your vehicle...

Clay

• Host of SGP
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »

In my opinion... whatever that is worth... having a fighting spirit is good to have.  I am not always on point with my defense.  I might leave my gun in the other room once or twice or not able to carry it in somewhere with me because of what I am wearing.  I abide by this idea...

I dont need a gun to be able to throw something at someone.  I can fight, throw something, use something as a cutting utensil, but more importantly run and avoid.

Also, I like to imagine that I look like james bond when I lean up against a bar like that.