Skilled Gentlemen Podcast Forum

• December 12, 2017, 02:15:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It still has that "new forum" smell!

Author Topic: Autumn garden  (Read 1481 times)

Dan

• School Teacher. Martial Artist. Self-Reliant
    • View Profile
Autumn garden
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »

Its coming into autumn here or 'fall' so I'll start planting out tomatoes, broc, cauli, cucumber, carrots, beets, beans and pumpkins. Autumn gets to maybe 24C and winter can get to 20C or maybe 15C on a bad day. So I can grow most summer veg here in winter and autumn in fact I have a better garden in the cooler months because the summers are too hot and humid or too wet from tropical storms.

hoguen

• View Profile
Re: Autumn garden
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »

I wish I could say the same.  Too cold here in the winter to grow anything... expect for ice sickles.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:22:51 AM »

Bugger, can you use cold frames? I've never had the luxury of seeing snow yet. So what time frame do you have to actually grow crops?

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »

I would love to have a growing season, or seasons like that. I typically have late May to early September here in Minnesota.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »

Man thats no much time at all. Do you get enough harvest to last the off season? How bout fruit? Is it enough time to grow and harvest?

Clay

• Host of SGP
  • Administrator
  • Teacher - Firefighter - Husband - Gentleman
    • View Profile
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »

Luckily we are in somewhat of a temperate climate around the Piedmont area of North Carolina.  In the winter we usually dont get too much below freezing and during the summer it is rare to get above 90 for longer than a few days.

@Blacklion what is your primary method of planting?  Raised bed, No Till, Standard garden, Hydro?

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 09:50:17 PM »

Sounds like you have a good autumn growing season Blacklion. I just planted my potatoes in 5 gallon buckets. I should be receiving a truckload of good gardening soil tomorrow. The downside of north Georgia is red clay is everywhere. I have to buy good soil to garden. I expanded my garden this year.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 05:34:39 AM »

Clay - I've got clay soil here so all of my beds are raised - either 600mm or 200mm from the ground. I'm looking into setting up aquaponics and wicking beds but I'm only on an 800m2 block so need to usethe slace wisely...one day I'll have acreage.

Jim - have you considered making your own with composting? I've filled all my bed with homemade compost. Only costs time.

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:58 AM »

Dan- I will find out this year how much I can harvest, as this is the first year that i'm serious about it. Fruit in this area is basically berries and apples, right now I just have strawberries. I am planning raspberries and blueberries and some apple trees.

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »

So been a while since I've been on here - sorry bout that. My garden is going crazy atm. I've got veg growing on top of other veg! And the best thing about it all - I have done maybe 2 days work in the garden since I planted it out in April!
Autumn and winter is the best growing season here in Queensland Australia!!